Gourmet Girl's Totally Food Related Film Reviews

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

MANDERLAY


I SAW BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD‘S BUSH!

I am deeply sad to report that this movie is a mess. Sheepishly, I’m putting my home-made “I heart Lars Von Trier” T-shirt away until further notice. Sigh, Mr. Von Trier has lost an avid fan on this one.

ALRIGHT J, YOU CAN STOP LAUGHING NOW!

My hubby has never be fond of this piece of Danish.

Here’s what I would say to my formerly beloved Mr. Van Trier if I ever get a chance to meet him and managed not to faint: Racial issues in this country are so complex and sensitive, you can’t just google some data & make a movie out it. It’s just not that black & white. (pause for his reflection on my thoughts) (and if he is still there). Would you like to have dim sum with me sometimes?

That being said, I still think that the film was beautifully shot and visually stunning.

“ Are you kidding me?!” J’s already immense eyes just quadrupled in size.
“ This whole movie was lit with one light bulb and filmed in a card board box!!” He looks like he’s about to swallow me with no dipping sauce now.

I shrug and proceed to fix our dinner. No matter what happens, I still adore Von Trier’s minimalist style.

This movie makes me want to have:

Lemon herb roasted chicken with potatoes & carrots right out of the oven because there was a scene in the movie where Grace made the white people put on dark make-up and serve food to the black former slaves. I froze the frame twice and really thought that they were having roasted chicken with potatoes.

Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home